This is a freeview 'At a glance' guide to Replacement of Domestic Items relief. 

What relief can I get for property expenses?  What is Replacement of Domestic Items relief?  What can I claim Replacement of Domestic Items relief on?

Replacement of Domestic Items relief replaced the Wear and Tear allowance for furnished properties from April 2016.

Subscribers see Replacement of Domestic Items relief for detailed notes on this topic.

Replacement of Domestic Items relief

Applies to landlords, e.g. companies, individuals and trusts who let residential property.

Tax relief is given against their rental income for:

Relief is given for 'domestic items' which includes:

Items must be provided solely for the use of the tenant within the residential property.

This relief is not available if Rent a Room relief is claimed.

Useful guides on this topic

Replacement of Domestic Items Relief (subscriber guide)
What is Replacement of Domestic Items Relief? When can it apply and what conditions must be met? 

Wear & tear allowance and Renewals basis (up to 2015/16)
This article is relevant for periods to 5 April 2016 (31 March 2016 for companies).  

Adviser's Guide: Property Business: Profits and losses
What is property income? How is it taxed? How are profits calculated? How are losses relieved? Is NI paid on property income? Is property income classed as a business activity?

Property profits & losses: Toolkit (2021-22)
Our Property profits & losses toolkit takes HMRC's version and adds a great deal more information about what you can claim as an individual. 

Squirrel ad

Are you enjoying our content? 

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our unique FREE Tax Planning Tips and Advice Guide & our FREE OMB Newsletter.