Since 6 April 2017 there have been two £1,000 allowances which may be claimed instead of actual expenses for both property income and trading income.

Subscribers see Allowances: Trading and Property

This is a freeview 'At a glance' guide to the trading and property allowances.

At a glance

There is one allowance for trading or miscellaneous income and one for property income.

Trading allowance

  • The allowance is available for trading or other miscellaneous income.
  • An individual can choose how to allocate the allowance to different sources of trading and miscellaneous income but can only claim one trading allowance and cannot use the allowance to create a loss.

Property allowance

  • Individuals with UK and overseas property income can choose how to allocate the allowance but cannot create a loss.
  • The allowance will not apply to income:
    • On which Rent-a-room relief is given.
    • From a property business carried on by a partnership.
    • Where an individual receives a tax reduction for non-deductible interest.
  • By sole traders as a deduction against their trading income instead of making a claim for tax relief for Working from home.

You might like our guides to the different accounting systems for the self-employed and landlords:

Oak ad
Are you enjoying our content? 

Thousands of accountants and advisers and their clients use as their primary TAX resource.

Register with us now to receive our receive our FREE SME Topical Tax Update & newletter.